Divestment is about people taking a moral stand on something they feel passionately about that sends a powerful message to financial institutions. There are thousands of fossil fuel divestment stories waiting to be told, and we want to amplify them.
Do you want to share your divestment story?
Follow guide below or email us at [email protected] so that we can help you capture your story.
Record your divestment story
Make a video using your phone, laptop or computer.
- If using your phone, make sure to turn it sideways and record in landscape format.
- On a PC search “Camera” for the Camera program. You can use this to take photos and videos with your computer. For Macs use Photobooth.
- At the start of the video, make sure to include a consent statement, so that Market Forces can share your story e.g. “My name is John and I consent to Market Forces sharing my video divestment story” . We can edit it out from any public version.
- Introduce yourself, where you live, how long you’ve been a customer and why you are divesting.
- Keep the video short and sweet, just a few sentences is best.
- Make sure to play back the video to check that the sound has recorded properly. Once you’re happy, save and export as an MP4 file.
Once you have recorded your video, upload it to Market Forces’ Dropbox here so that we can collate all of the videos
Take a divestment selfie
Get a photo of yourself cutting up your bank card or holding up a sign saying “I’m divesting from Westpac because they must stop lending to fossil fuels” (or something similar).
Then, email your photo with a ~100 word Divestment story to [email protected]. We can then share your story on our social media channels.
Share your selfie on social media
Share your Divestment Selfie and story on Facebook, Twitter and anywhere else. Make sure that you tag Market Forces and your bank: @Market_Forces, @Westpac, @Westpacsustain, @CommBank, @ANZ_AU @NAB and use the hashtags: #Divest #NoNewFossilFuels
Tagging Market Forces makes sure we see it so we can share it with our supporters.
Get started on your divestment journey
If you bank with one of Australia’s big four – ANZ, Commonwealth, Westpac or NAB – put them on notice, telling them if they continue to invest in fossil fuels, you’ll find a new bank. You can use our bank comparison table to research over 120 banks and financial institutions’ positions on fossil fuel investment to find one that aligns more closely with your values. Our How to switch banks guide will help you through the divestment process, ensuring that your action makes the most impact possible.